As we approach the fifth week of the 2017 football season, LSCSN.com brings releases its annual Top 5 private school power rankings.
TAPPS Division I
1. Dallas Bishop Lynch (3-0) – The defending state champs give us no reason to take them from the top spot. Frairs start district this week in state title game rematch with Dallas Bishop Dunne.
2. Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal (4-0) – The Saints are rolling in their first season as a TAPPS member, which includes a road win at the top ranked D-II school Midland Christian and three wins over TAPPS Division I schools.
3. Houston St. Pius X (3-0) – Quarterback Grant Gunnell and the Panther offense are setting records and show no signs of slowing.
4. Dallas Bishop Dunne (1-1) – Falcons look tough again in 2017 and have their sights set on top-ranked Bishop Lynch this week.
5. Plano Prestonwood Christian (2-1)- The Lions offense is again one of the elite units in the game; can their defense do enough to move up?
TAPPS Division II
1. Midland Christian (3-1) – Mustangs look like a top ranked team again, beating Brock and losing a close one to All Saints. MCS also has two impressive wins over some bigger El Paso area public schools (Americas and Eastwood).
2. Cedar Hill Trinity Christian (3-1) – The Tigers have already compiled an impressive resume in just four games. TCCH handled defending state champion Grapevine Faith Christian and SPC stalwart Episcopal School of Dallas before putting together a road win in a last-minute game at D-I Houston St. Thomas.
3. Dallas Christian (3-0) – Chargers are again in our top 5. Big game this week against Tyler Grace Community and has a win over rival Fort Worth Christian already.
4. Austin Regents (4-0) – The Knights have already beaten Parish Episcopal, Cypress Christian, Kelly Catholic, and Second Baptist.
5. Fort Worth Christian (2-1) – Cardinals lone setback to Dallas Christian after shutting out in-town rival Country Day.
TAPPS Division III
1. Shiner St. Paul (3-0) – Cardinals show they are the cream of the crop in D-III with win over D-II squad Hyde Park. The running game is in full force again.
2. Reicher (3-1) – The Cougars are thriving with Brittain/Bass on offense, lone setback to UIL power Bremond in week 4.
3. Lubbock Christian (3-1) – Eagles rolled to 3-0 start before dropping a 6-point game to a 3-1 Hawley team. We find out which Lubbock team belongs when they face an undefeated Trinity Christian team this week.
4. Willow Park Trinity Christian (4-0) – The Eagles have allowed 10 points total through four games. Schedule is back loaded compared to their first four games so we will soon see if the Eagles are for real.
5. Lubbock Trinity Christian (3-0) – The Lions might be our biggest surprise team to start 2017 being undefeated through three games. They get tested immediately as district starts with Lubbock Christian.
1. Bellaire Episcopal (1-2) – Knights had a rough start to 2017, taking the road to Prestonwood and Brenham to start the year. EHS faces St. Thomas this week, followed by Kinkaid.
2. Kinkaid (2-1) – Falcons look strong in 2017, dropped a close one to a very tough Shadow Creek team.
3. Episcopal School of Dallas (2-2) – Eagles have responded after dropping first two games to capture wins over Addison TCA and SPC foe St. Johns.
4. St. Johns (2-1) – The Mavericks handled pretty easily their first two games against Second Baptist and Brook Hill, no lightweights on the football circuit, before dropping a close on on the road at ESD.
5. Trinity Valley (3-1) – The Trojans have been impressive after their season opening, 3-point loss to Southwest Christian. TVS held Cistercian to just 12 points while shutting out Country Day, 49-0.